After studying this lesson you will be able to know basics of communication, how to communicate i.e. through use of sentences, communication process, channel of communication and principles of communication.
Communication is essential part of life. Communication is the transfer of views/information, fact, ideas, thoughts, values and understanding from one person to another person or group of persons
What is communication?
It is a dynamic, multidimensional interactive process of sharing common sets of signs, symbols, and language from one person to another person so that suitable response results. Language used in this book is English. You should shift attention from English as a subject of knowledge to English as a skill that you can learn yourself to use. Communication is skill and best way of communication is either conversation or in writing
What is skill?
It is an ability to do certain things expertly and well and wellness comes from practice. Therefore start practicing from very beginning, continue practicing steadily to the end of the session i.e. till you qualify in exam and later to get quality career.Commmunication means one can hear your thoughts (listening), understand what you want to say (understanding), respond either through verbal talk or in writing (Speaking-talk, discuss, convey thoughts or write-understand and convey your thoughts on points raised by you and retain your view point through knowledge. Therefore be brief, concise and talk to the point.
Communication is any behavior that results in an exchange on meaning and understanding. Communication is the process involving the transmission and reception of symbols eliciting meaning in the minds of the participants by using their own perception.
- Sender has an idea (ideation)-sender converts ides into words or gestures (encoding)-messag travels over channel (Transmission)-Receiver decodes (decoding)-Receiver response (Feed back)
Channels of Communication.
It has four channels-upward communication, downward communication- Horizontal communication and diagonal communication. Communication is a process of sharing of information through four channels
Communication helps to improve personality and leadership qualities .When it is used for technical purpose; it is slightly used with different system and is termed as Technical communication. There is slight difference between technical and general communication.
|3-Style||Formal||No formal, at times formal|
|4-Data||Factual||May not be factual|
- There are three important factors namely Subject competence, Linguistic competence and organizational competence.
- Subject Competence means individual must know what s/he wants to convey
- Linguistic competence means knowledge of language i.e. use of words, making of sentences, grammar, presentation technique, pronunciation and adverse effect of wrong use
- Organizational competence means how to make sentence for communication and how to present it utilizing audio visual system, if possible.
.There is need of fast, interactive and result oriented form of communication such as voice mailmen mail, video transmission, teleconferencing, videoconferencing, internet transmission or letters, memos, newsletters etc. However mainly communication depends on oral or written means of communication.
Principles of Communication.
- There are seven principle of 7 Cs namely: Complete, Concise, Considerate, Courteous,Clear, Correct, Concrete How to communicate.
- You must have observed today that we are trying to communicate through use of sentences. Whether you are at home or in school or appearing .in examination hall or in society or in Market you have to communicate to convey your intention through sentences. And therefore it is essential to learn art of making sentences Vocabulary
- This is start and therefore you will find difficult to remember the words in chronological manner but make an attempt to remember a few words used in each lesson and practice them in your daily life. Also list of words have been given in attached appendix. Make it a point to learn fifty words per day and use them at the time of writing or speaking.
Why do employers want communication skills?
Being able to listen, speak, and put others at ease is one of the most important skills in the workplace. Almost any job you take will require you to communicate with your colleagues or customers, whether that is face-to-face, over the phone or
by email. Consequently it\’s vital that you can appear professional and friendly, and can represent your company effectively.
Employers want people not only to be able to speak clearly but also to show good listening skills too.
How can you show you have them?
You can demonstrate your communication skills in many ways. A course presentation is a great way of showing your ability to speak clearly and provide information accurately and interestingly.
Other good ways of showing your communication skills are to talk about how you resolved an argument or conflict, talking about working in a role where you had to talk to lots of different people, or talking about a group discussion where you had to come to a common agreement.
How are they used in the world of work?
Good communication makes businesses better. It allows businesses to operate quicker and to make fewer mistakes. Good communication is about listening and talking. Active listening is very important when talking to clients or potential customers. A good technique is to reflect on what the speaker is saying and to ask them to elaborate on what they are saying. Good communication skills also allow arguments and disputes to be resolved without problems and to the advantage of the business.
There are three important factors namely Subject competence, Linguistic competence, and organizational competence.
- Subject Competence means an individual must know what s/he wants to convey
- Linguistic competence means knowledge of language i.e. use of words, making of sentences, grammar, presentation technique, pronunciation, and adverse effect of wrong use
- Organizational competence means how to make a sentence for communication and how to present it utilizing an audiovisual system, if possible.
There is a need for fast, interactive, and result oriented forms of communication such as voice mailmen mail, video transmission, teleconferencing, videoconferencing, internet transmission or letters, memos, newsletters, etc. However mainly communication depends on oral or written means of communication.
Principles of Communication.
There are seven principles of 7 Cs namely: Complete
Concise Considerate Courteous Clear Correct Concrete
How to communicate?
- You must have observed today that we are trying to communicate through the use of sentences. Whether you are at home or in school or appearing .in an examination hall or in society or Market you have to communicate to convey your intention through sentences. And therefore it is essential to learn the art of making sentences Vocabulary
- This is a start and therefore you will find it difficult to remember the words in a chronological manner but make an attempt to remember a few words used in each lesson and practice them in your daily life. Also, a list of words has been given in the attached appendix. Make it a point to learn fifty words per day and use them at the time of writing or speaking.
Contents of rules?
- Communication is a dynamic interactive process that involves the effective transmission of facts, ideas, thoughts, feelings, and values.
- Two communication agents’ senders and receivers exert a reciprocal influence on each other.
There are five stages of communication
- Communication skills involve four major skills listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Learn 5 rules per day and practice them to achieve perfection. Check your progress
- One of your colleagues has misbehaved with you. You will report to higher authority Yes or No
- You have a brilliant idea for your company’s progress. You will share with management or No
- Your facilitator is upset with you. You have not submitted his assignment. You will explain your problem and say sorry to him/her.
Let us sum up
Communication is the transfer of information and understanding from you to job providers. You have to reach him through communication. To master this art for getting employment and settling yourself in career.
- Name your friends with whom you have talked in English. What is their reaction?
- Write a short note on the communication barrier
- Write the way you want to improve your communication skills